Clermont County – present & accounted for in 175th O.V.I.

Recruitment for the 175th Ohio began in Highland County, however many men, particularly Germans from Cincinnati, and men from counties nearby made up most of the regiment’s remaining soldiers. Clermont County, just to the east of Cincinnati along the Ohio River, accounted for at least two men, George and William Hendrixson (Hendrickson) among its members.

The area was the birth place of General Ulysses S. Grant, Commander-in-chief of the U.S. Army during the Civil War. In addition there are numerous sites nearby along the Ohio River that were prominent in the Underground Railroad. By late 1864 Clermont had contributed a large presence in the 2nd, 12th, and 22nd Ohio Regiments, among others. Clermont County was no stranger to the hardships of the war.

Henry Roe Hendrixon, born in Kentucky in 1812, came north to Brown County, Ohio, married and raised a large family. Henry was a captain of a river boat. Sometime prior to 1850 the family moved a few miles west into Clermont County. William (10/16/1837) and George (4/22/1840) were the third and fourth born of fourteen children.

Late in August 1864 the two brothers volunteered for service in the 175th Ohio and were both assigned to Company E. On September 16 they mustered in at Camp Dennison near Cincinnati and thus began their war. Details of their travels and possible service duties can be found in this site’s “History of the 175th.”  However, missing from that general history are specific personal events, one very tragic.

William was shot in the knee, but when and where the wound occurred is not specified. Apparently the wound was not severe enough to keep him from further action. William mustered out with the regiment in June, 1865 and returned Clermont County and his wife Harriet where they raised seven children.

Cincy 2 001 Cincy 2 009

George, however, suffered a fate we find too common among the regiment’s men. George was wounded and captured at the Battle of Franklin. He was sent to Cahaba Prison in Alabama, transferred to Andersonville, and on April 10, 1865 he was exchanged at Vicksburg, Mississippi. George was loaded aboard the Steamer Sultana for the trip home to family and died April 27 when the ship exploded and sank into the Mississippi River. See the full story of the Sultana elsewhere in this site.

Sources: Baptism of Fire by Eric Jacobson; Hyde Family Tree; Owner Susan Welton, permission granted Aug. 2013


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s